Southern barbecue is famous for its tangy, vinegar-based sauce. Balanced by a touch of brown sugar and tossed with juicy pulled chicken, this barbecue sauce will have you ditching the bottled kind. A little bit of slaw on the sliders is an essential addition.
|Chicken Thighs||2 pkg (680 g)|
|Brown Sugar||1 pkg (2 tbsp)|
|BBQ Seasoning||1 pkg (2 tsp)|
|White Wine Vinegar||3 pkg (6 tbsp)|
|Chicken Broth Concentrate||2pkg|
|Brioche Slider Buns||10|
|Spring Mix||1 pkg (113 g)|
|Coleslaw Mix||1 pkg (340 g)|
|Mayonnaise||6 pkg (4 tbsp)|
|Ketchup||1 pkg (2 tbsp)|
Preparation Time / 30 minutes
Cooking difficulty / Level 1
1. Preheat the broiler to high (to toast the buns).
2. Cook the chicken: In a large pot, combine the brown sugar, chicken broth concentrates, 2/3 cup water, BBQ seasoning and 5 tbsp vinegar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pot. Cover with a lid and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 7-8 min.
3. Make the slaw: Meanwhile, wash and dry all produce. Thinly slice the green onions. In a medium bowl, combine the coleslaw, green onions, mayonnaise, sugar and remaining vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toast the buns: Halve the buns, then arrange them cut-side up on a baking sheet. Toast in the centre of the oven until golden-brown, 30 sec to 1 min. (TIP: Keep your eye on the buns so they don’t burn!)
5. Shred the chicken: When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the liquid to a large plate. Add the ketchup to the liquid and make a sauce by continuing to simmer until it reduces by half, 4-5 min. Meanwhile, using two forks, shred the chicken then return to the pot and toss to coat in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Assemble and serve: Top the buns with the shredded chicken, a bit of coleslaw and the spring mix. Serve the remaining slaw to the side. Enjoy!
DID YOU KNOW? Cooking chicken by simmering it in liquid for a short amount of time is a cooking technique called “poaching”!
No time for shopping?
Go home, kick your feet up, and skip the supermarket – HelloFresh has got you covered! From creating the recipes and planning the meals, to sourcing specialty products from legendary suppliers. They even start the prep work by pre-measuring and pre-cutting the ingredients for you! There's no waste and you don't have to worry about the time old question, "What's for dinner?"